I was Alive that Summer: 20 Songs for a Strange and Wonderful Summer
We are now entering into a summer that promises to be unlike any other - and even though the majority of festivals and events are cancelled, get your dopamine and adrenaline rush from this sunshine soaked, disco infused playlist.
1. Little Dragon - Another Lover ( A COLORS SHOW) Another Lover - A COLORS SHOW, a song by Little Dragon: A dreamy, synthesized Neo-Soul track set against lead singer Yukimi Nagano’s sublimely dark and rich vocals. This is the live version from the fantastic ‘A Colors Show’ series (check out the video here)
2. Morgan Willis - Dreamer: Taken from the synthwave producer’s album of the same name - this is what a palm tree infused memory from the 80s would sound like. Made for a very different kind of summer.
3. Fiji Blue - Butterflies: A dopamine rush - warm, soulful electric piano chords (with a slight Funk Wav Bounces Vol. 1 feel) set against a silky smooth funk beat - all deliciously wrapped up with lead singer Trevor Dering’s velvety vocals.
4. Lucy in disguise - Odyssey Point: This is how a sun-soaked, pink tinged night in 70s Miami would sound like- a wall of glistening synthesizers combined with thundering 80’s percussion and bass.
5. Hazey Haze ft Robin Banks - Quarantine Lover: PX Music’s Hazey Haze teams up with producer Robin Banks to create this melancholy, silky smooth affair - a love song like no other.
6. Flecks - Hold On: A new release from the Synthpop duo - producer Scott’s soaring brass chords combined with powerful 80s style drums create the perfect sonic background for Freya’s effortless and ethereal vocals.
7. 1000 Beasts (ft Lenii) - Waistcoat: Cork based producer 1000 Beasts is back- this time with vocalist Lenii. Think Purity Ring mixed with glistening electronica combined with an uneasy, drone like bass. Entrancing.
8. Dana Jean Phoenix feat Powernerd (Sunrise Stance) - Megawave: Taken from the album Megawave - pounding synthwave drums set against electrifying synths and guitars; this is the song you drive off into the sunset to.
9. DJ Koze/Gerry Read - It'll All Be Over: German producer DJ Koze is back - working his soulful disco 90’s magic over Gerry Read’s track ‘It’ll all be over’.
10. SYLK - what i really need: The newest release from the alt-electronic duo. An uneasy, industrial wall of synths set against alien-like vocal chops. This is what the darkness of a sprawling, concrete metropolis sounds like.
11. girl in red - Say It (Spotify Studios Recording): Indie-Pop singer/songwriter girl in red is back with this nostalgic, 90’s infused melancholy jam.
12. Purity Ring - Pink Lightening: One of the most unique acts in electronic music in the past decade have returned and are as good as ever - unsettling witch pop set against a synthesized wall of vocals and synths.
13. Jacob Collier - All I Need ( Mahalia & Ty Dolla Sign): This is what imagination in musical form sounds like. What starts off as a funk fueled Vulpeck style track dissolves into a kaleidoscope of luscious electronic dreaminess. Entrancing.
14. ROBYN - Ever Again: Prince style pop mixed with Robyn’s signature sound - glossy pop perfection.
15. Donny Benet - Konichewa: A slow and luxurious Italian Disco Funk affair - Benet’s smooth vocals soar over this pulsing track.
16. Jack Rua - Curious: A dark, synthesized floor filler about satisfying your inner desires from Dublin based pop vocalist Jack Rua.
17. CYNEMA feat Chris Leech - Floating: Haunting synthesizer soundscapes mixed with pop perfection drums and vocal chops - think The 1975 mixed with something you haven't heard yet.
18. Follow the Sound (Kean Kavanagh, Fehdah, David Kitt): Deep, soulful house vocals set against glitchy, minimalist house production.
19. Bantum ft Loah - Summer of Love: Instant summer- Bantum’s production featuring glittering synthesizers and a throbbing electronic bassline combined with Loah’s soul infused vocals will guide you to the sun.
20. Durante/Hana - Days Pass: An ethereal, Deadmau5 style electronic masterpiece from vocalist/producer Hana and producer Durante.
In this blog section we host new music releases, artist features and handpicked playlists by the Musicngear staff.
Interested in a music feature, writing a story as a guest or joining the Musicngear team as a Contributing Author? Contact us at email@example.com